Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Summer Fun

My three older girls are 8, 6, and 5 and afternoon naps don't always happen here for them anymore. I usually have them lay down for a "quiet time" but that doesn't always mean they sleep.  But usually after some down time we can then make it through to the evening without any major breakdowns or drama.

One day I had the idea to write down some fun ideas for the girls to do on those afternoons when they don't lay down or  if we have some extra time and they seem bored. My girls don't know that word yet, or what it means, but I can tell they are feeling bored when they are asking to watch TV. All.the.time. They can be relentless.

We wrote down some ideas and then put them into a big glass jar. Today we tried it for the first time. They are now out in the kitchen creating masterpieces with play dough. Here are some of the ideas we wrote down....

-send grandma an email
-bake something
-puzzles
-swimming
-painting
-make a card
-legos
-nap (my personal favorite!!!)
-read a book
-play a game

and the slips of paper go on. There are some chores thrown in there.  Since Landon still naps in the afternoon, that time is great for the girls to do some more "grown up" things that little Brother can get in the way of.




Our jar of fun
On a side note, I was outside this morning and saw a hummingbird at my hanging basket of petunias, so of course I grabbed my camera.

Butterfly




I think hummingbirds are so neat. I have a feeder and there are usually a half dozen or more flying around there in the morning and again in the evening.  This one was really working the petunias over.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a great week!

No comments: