Thursday, May 24, 2012

Anne Noelle

Finally! She is here! Last Friday, May 18 at 6:59 p.m., Anne Noelle was born into this world. To say we are thrilled, would be an understatement!

Her story actually starts the night before. Thursday evening I had just had it. Emotionally and physically I felt as though I just couldn't go any more. I had a breakdown, and my girls surrounded me, prayed for me, and that evening around 11:30 p.m. I awoke to contractions. They stayed five minutes apart for the next hour, so I decided to get up and get our birthing pool set up and start preparing for a long night. I checked my phone and saw my sister, Ashlea, had texted me a message saying "C'mon Anne Noelle!" I texted her back and said it looked as though things were finally going to start. I called my midwife to give her the heads up and she said she would let the rest of the team know and they would make their way out. My contractions continued until they arrived, around 1:30-2:00 in the morning. Nate and I went for a walk around the pivot and they continued. We got back to the house and decided to try and rest until things started picking up. I laid down and my contractions started petering out. I was so disappointed.....a false alarm!

Everyone slept and the next morning before they left, my midwife checked me and said I was four centimeters and 75% effaced. She went ahead and stretched me and said to call when things picked up. After they left, I stayed in bed most of the morning. I was so tired, disappointed, and just uncomfortable. Anne had dropped a couple weeks earlier and so I had a lot of pressure and could feel her shoulders pushing on my pelvic bone every time I stood up or rolled over in bed.

Lunchtime came and I noticed my contractions were starting back up again. They were about five minutes apart. The girls went to play at a friend's house and Landon went to his grandma's for a nap, so I had the house to myself. I started cleaning my kitchen, washed my floors, cleaned bathrooms, picked up the kids rooms. My contractions got closer together. When they were about three to four minutes apart, I texted my midwife to let her know. I started heating hot water on the stove to keep my pool hot. I started to notice more pressure on my bottom, so I texted again, around 2:30-3 in the afternoon, and my midwife said she would be coming back out. I called Nate to let him know he should be coming home soon, and then decided to get in my pool to relieve some of my back pain.

I got in the pool, and as I sat there, something didn't feel right. The water wasn't warm enough, the pool seemed too big, and I wasn't comfortable giving birth in it. For those who know me, this is super unusual. Water births are my drug. The water helps me deal with labor and delivery.

I got out of the pool and decided to set up a birthing area back in our bedroom and out in the living room, just in case we were in either place when it was time. Nate came home and I continued to labor. The midwives showed up between 4 and 4:30.  Around 6:30 I sometimes felt as though I could almost push, so I had her check me. I was 8 cm. She broke my water and I made my way back to our bedroom. I had a little bit of a break before it was time to push. We were talking and laughing. I felt a contraction coming on and suddenly it was go time!!

The whole pushing process lasted, maybe ten minutes, but it was the most intense ten minutes of my life!! One thing I love about my midwives, is they take their time. They coach me through every last detail so as to help me not to tear. Anne crowned and when she did she didn't turn to the side like most babies do. They turn to the side so you can dip their shoulders and they usually just fall right out. Because Anne didn't do this, my midwife had to help her out some. She had to reach up (yes!) and move her! I didn't know any of this until after, which is probably best, but it needed to be done. Anne had arrived!




She came out with her eyes opened and her lungs working overtime! Nate cut the cord and we wrapped up our baby and just enjoyed the fact that she was here and everything was okay. As time went on, it became apparent that my uterus wasn't contracting the way it should have been. I hadn't lost a lot of blood during delivery, but afterwards it wasn't slowing and stopping like it should have been. I took some herbs and pills that cause the uterus to start contracting. Anne also was nursing, but it was like my uterus became lazy. They put an ice pack on my stomach, which hardened my uterus right up and I started having afterbirth pains, which is a good thing. Once they were satisfied that everything was working properly, the weighing and measuring began.



Anne was 7 pounds, 14 ounces and 20 1/2 inches long. She falls right in the middle of our brood.
Here is a sweet picture of her and her daddy....


It's been almost a week now, and Anne has been doing a great job. At this point she seems like a fairly content baby, and pretty easy going, which will be needed around here! I am feeling good and getting around easier every day. We are so thankful for all the prayers and encouragement over the last few weeks as we were waiting for her arrival. We are so thankful for a healthy baby girl and a quick and safe delivery. Our midwives are amazing and we have been so blessed to have them for our children's' births.
We are so glad you are here Anne Noelle!






2 comments:

The lady of the house... said...

oh Laura, your story is beautiful! thank you first of all for commenting over at my blog, it lifted my spirit to read about your journey. i have to think, because of her shoulder not coming out right away, it was probably best you weren't in the water! amazing how all those details come together when we are "just doing our thing." PEACE AND STRENGTH to you and your home as you adjust to this sweet baby, your anne noelle!

Erin@TheHumbledHomemaker said...

Thanks for sharing your sweet birth story in my link up! I love it!! I had some early/"false" labor about a week before my most recent baby came..it sounds a lot like what you experienced the day before. Blessings!! :)