Monday, April 7, 2008

One of those days

Did you ever have one of those days that just started off bad, and you wished you could start all over? I had one of those last Friday. You see, I have this passion about reading. If I am in a good book, I cannot put it down, and I totally zone out everything and everyone around me. It drives my husband crazy. He can be talking to me and I totally have not heard a word he has said. This is especially dangerous to do when the children are awake.
Friday morning I got up, fed Charlotte and decided to read while the older two slept. They eventually got up and came out to the living room. They played in there for a while and then suddenly it got quiet. Now, in my subconscious I was aware that they had left the room, but I was in a good spot in my book and decided they couldn't get into too much trouble.
A few minutes later, I heard the water running in the bathroom. Irritated, because I had to stop reading, I put down my book and went back to investigate. Turns out, my daughters got a hold of my white out and thought it was lipstick. It was on their face and all over their hands and arms. Believe me, white out does not come out easily. I got pretty upset with them, and then realized, you know, I have no one to blame but myself. I should have been the adult, and put my book away when the older two got up, but no, I just had to read one more chapter, which turned into another, and then another.
This is one area that I do struggle in. I sometimes have a hard time stopping what I want to do and doing what my children want to do. Now, I do agree that children do need to learn to wait and that the world doesn't revolve around them, however, this specific circumstance was totally me being selfish. And I've learned my lesson. And I don't believe my girls want their mommy scrubbing their skin until it's red either, trying to get the stuff off! So hopefully, there will be on more white out incidents!

No comments: